From Colloro to Capraga: woods, pastures and ancient hamlets
2020 guided walks - Official Guides of the Val Grande National Park
Saturday 26 September 2020 from 09:30 to 17:00
What we will discover: mule tracks and terracing; ancient chestnut trees, that seem to swallow the stones, and the shadow of a large beech tree; old hamlets with evoking names and pastures overlooking the valley.
The walk starts from the church of Colloro (515 m asl) and continues on a mule track: the path twist an turn through the woods up to a chapel perched on an outcrop of rocks, the trees give way to a wide panorama of the valley below. Go up again and you reach the church of San Bernardo (818 m asl) and a little further on the hamlet of Biogno: it is the first of the evocative nucleus of stone houses that meet along the way, resting between terraces and pastures; here the view opens, with the meadows overlooking the peaks of the opposite side.
From Biogno, first on a path and then with a short stretch of paved road you will reach the hamlet of Capraga (951 m asl), where you will have lunch.
The tour continues halfway up the hill towards the hamlet of Sasso Termine (954 m asl) and then descends on a path in the woods until you return to the church of San Bernardo, from which you return to Colloro by the same road as you went, with the possibility of aperitif / coffee at the bar in the hamlet.
- Length of the excursion: 5.5 km
- Difference in altitude: 440 meters
- Walking time: 4 hours (round trip, excluding stops)
- Level: E (medium); itinerary on mule tracks and paths, in some sections slightly uneven but without objective dangers. Requires a minimum of walking training in the mountains.
- Packed lunch by the participants.
- Use of trekking / mountain boots.
- Cost: € 20.00 per person for adults and children up to 12 years; children under 12 years € 10.00.
, environmental education