A journey in the Middle Ages
Vogogna is perhaps the hamlet of the Park and of the entire province that has best preserved the traces of its illustrious past, from when, in the first half of the XVI century, it became the administrative center of the lower Ossola, according to the Visconti will. The importance assured by Vogogna after the disappearance in 1328 of the nearby Pietrasanta, an ancient and important village destroyed by a disastrous flood, is still witnessed by the Palazzo Pretorio, a Gothic palace supported by pointed arches resting on columns, built in 1348 and seat until 1819 of the goverment of the Lower Ossolam and of the Castello Visconteo, a military defensive garrison, but also residence before the Visconti and then the Borromeo, built close to the village, along the ancient road that goes from the Pretorio to the Rocca.
S. Pietro di Dresio Oratory in Vogogna
(photo by: Claudio Venturini Delsolaro)
(photo by: Giancarlo Parazzoli)
Vogogna: Via Roma and Palazzo Pretorio
(photo by: Carlo Pessina)