The breath of history
The Middle Ages and Vogogna
- Departure: Vogogna (Vogogna)
- Arrival: La Rocca (Vogogna) (Vogogna)
- Duration: 1 hour without stops for the outward walk, 30 minutes for the return walk
- Difficulty Level: The itinerary is suitable for everyone
- Difference in height: 130m
- Recommended Period: from January to December
- Involved Municipalities: Vogogna
The Nature Trail unwinds within the Municipality of Vogogna, old capital of the historical region of Ossola Inferiore, which represents the only built-up area in the province of Verbano Cusio Ossola to have maintained the town planning and architectural framework of a medieval village.
The route allows visitors to discover the most significant elements of a 14th century village and to feel the charm of its historical atmosphere. Starting from piazza Pratini, on the SP road, it continues across the old town center, from Palazzo Pretoro to Castello Visconteo; then it goes up to the village of Ganestredo and to the Rocca, where you will find a picnic area.
Along the route, 12 panels describe the history of Vogogna through texts, images, drawings and old illustrations.
Vogogna can be reached via the Voltri-Sempione highway and via two railway lines, Milano - Domodossola and Novara - Domodossola.
Equipment: comfortable sportswear
Facilities: picnic areas near the Rocca
Vogogna from the castle tower
(photo by: Claudio Venturini Delsolaro)
(photo by: Archivio Parco Nazionale Val Grande)